You may have noticed that my blog posts have slowed to a trickle. While it wasn’t my original intention, it was, still, intentional. I’ve been devoted an absurd amount of time to my 90 Days of Self Publishing vlog project (vlogect?) and, of course, getting my novel Lunatic Fringe into fighting shape. Added to that, I am currently in a dorm room in Los Angeles, as a fellow at the Lambda Literary Emerging LGBT Writers Retreat. That’s a lot of things.
I fully intend, after these 90 days are through and I have a real live book on Amazon, Powells, and In Your Local Bookstore™, to return to blogging on a weekly basis.
Highlights so far:
- Having 7 people in a row greet me with “Hey! Lesbian Werewolves!”
- Three outdoor swimming pools. Three. Outdoor. Swimming pools.
- Realizing that I am surrounded by 4o real, talented, and really talented queer writers.
- Being around a table with a bunch of writers again. It’s been years since I’ve been a part of a writers circle, and it made me realize how truly isolated I made myself over the past two years while I wrote my book.
- Truly liking all the work and ideas I’ve heard so far. Even stuff not in my usual tastes, even stuff I don’t understand.
- Finding this entire group SO FUCKING HOT. I don’t usually express the range of my queer proclivities, seeing as how Dyke owns the best real estate in my queer identity. But oh my f-ing left toe, these people are such a tasty melange of styles, genders, and genres I’m feeling capital Q this week.
- Computer, which has been on the fritz, is working well.
- Partner-man is swinging by tomorrow night before heading back home. A nice treat.
- Our teacher, Katherine Forrest, is adorable.
- Feeling a little bound by the timing right now. I’m awaiting more edits from my editor, and diddling with things on my own, but don’t want to do much or risk a lot of redundant edits and wasted time.
- Waking up at 7:30 is so not my style.
- Misplacing my sunglasses. (see above).
- Dorm food.
- Dorm pillows.
The takeaway: I’m glad to be out of college. But, it’s nice to go back with a bit more gratitude and humility, truly excited to be in a group of like-minded intellectuals and artists who just love to write.
And I promise to blog more again soon.